Breeding Responsible Pet Owners: Deck The Halls But Keep Pets In Mind

8 12 2010

Keeping up with our “Breeding Responsible Pet Owners” Series, it’s time for our holiday edition. No doubt, like millions of people across the country, your home is in full holiday mode. Decorations are being placed, goodies are being prepared, gifts are being wrapped. It’s a magical time of year, but one that can turn dim if care isn’t taken when it comes to our pets.

The holidays are a time of shiny decorations and wrappings and rich and tempting foods that are hard for even our pets to turn down. The most common situation seen in veterinary emergency rooms is chocolate toxicity and the darker the chocolate the more dangerous it is. While milk chocolate tends to be less of a threat, ultimately, it depends on the size of your dog. If your dog is experiencing diarrhea, vomiting or other changes in behavior, chances are he’s gotten into the candy dish. Do youself a favor and keep it out of reach. Even a dog who doesn’t normally go after something on a table or shelf could be drawn to the candy dish.

While cat owners don’t have as many food worries, they do have holiday concerns when it comes to their pets. Cats are curious creatures by nature and love dangly, sparkly things they can bat and bite at. Enter tinsel. They love this shiny decoration and if they eat enough of it, you can have a serious and life-threatening problem on your hands. If you think your cat has eaten tinsel, it’s best to contact your veterinarian immediately.

Lights, handwarmers, mistletoe and holly all pose threats to your pets – keep what you can out of reach and if you suspect that your pet has ingested something harmful, call your vet or pay a visit to your local animal hospital immediately.

Happy Holidays to you, your family and your pets!